Ken Fisher was born in San Francisco, California, the third and youngest son of Philip Fisher, a noted investor and author of Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits. He was raised in San Mateo, California and graduated from Humboldt State University in 1972 with a degree in economics. After graduating, Ken Fisher worked for his father's firm, Fisher & Co.
- In 1979, Ken Fisher started his own company, Fisher Investments, managing money primarily for institutional investors.
- In 1995, he established the Private Client Group to serve high net worth investors. Today, the Private Client Group serves over 68,000 individual investors in the US, Canada and UK. Fisher Investments also manages assets for more than 150 prominent institutions.*
- In 2000, he established a wholly-owned subsidiary in the UK, Fisher Investments UK, offering it's services to British investors.
- In 2003, Fisher started to collaborate with Thomas Grüner, a German money manager, and in 2007 they established the joint venture Grüner Fisher Investments to serve German investors. In 2016, Grüner Fisher Investments became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fisher Investments, and continues to offer services to German investors.
- In 2010, John Wiley & Sons published a book, Making of a Market Guru, commemorating Ken Fisher's 25 years as a Financial Columnist.