Ken Fisher was born in San Francisco, California, the third and youngest son of Philip Fisher, a noted investor and author of Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits. He was raised in San Mateo, California and graduated from Humboldt State University in 1972 with a degree in economics. After graduating, Ken Fisher worked for his father's firm, Fisher & Co.
- In 1979, Ken Fisher started his own company, Fisher Investments, managing money primarily for institutional investors.
- In 1995, he established the Private Client Group to serve high net worth investors.
- In 2000, he established a wholly-owned subsidiary in the UK, Fisher Investments UK, offering it's services to British investors.
- In 2003, Fisher started to collaborate with Thomas Grüner, a German money manager, and in 2007 they established the joint venture Grüner Fisher Investments to serve German investors. In 2016, Grüner Fisher Investments became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fisher Investments, and continues to offer services to German investors.
- In 2010, John Wiley & Sons published a book, Making of a Market Guru, commemorating Ken Fisher's 25 years as a Financial Columnist.